Round 5 of the 2016 CAMS, PGS Industries Western Australian Off-Road Racing Championship
The 2016 Cochrane’s Transport Badgingarra 250 was held on the Birrawong property, approx. 230km from Perth (roughly 30km north of Badgingarra on the Brand Highway) on 20-21 August 2016.
The brand new track was a mix of farm tracks, paddock runs, with some rocky areas and a few sandy areas. The perfect racing conditions were a huge change from our usual August event the Mogumber 240 (affectionately known as “Muddy Mogumber”), which is made up of very rough rocky sections and several creek crossings and mud holes.
Competitors raced seven laps of the 36 kilometre track, with recon, prologue and two laps on Saturday. Sunday’s racing saw one section of three laps followed by a section of two laps. Spectator viewing was impressive with excellent views of the start/finish line.
Congratulations to Brad Cooper and Aaron Smithson (968), Brett Smith and Corey Smith (161), and Grant Payne and Michael Gullotto (22) for taking out first, second and third outright. Favourites Troy Schoen, Deb Schoen and Chris Harper (19) clocked fastest prologue time but unfortunately DNF’d on the first lap of the second section. Event sponsor Barry Cochrane and Ian Murray (414) finished a very respectable fifth outright and first in class, in their first race back after a couple of seasons off.
13 vehicles finished the event from the list of 25 starters. Read the full list of results on the myraceresult website.
WAORRA would like to thank our event sponsors:
- Cochrane’s Transport
- Oricom UHF Radios
- Auto One Kwinana
- Total Tools Rockingham
- Pace Road Tavern Medina
Missed out on the action? Check out the following links:
- Event recap by WAORRA President Kim Yaxley
- Event wrap-up video by Jason Galea
- Event highlights video by Jason Galea
- On-board video with Troy Schoen
- Persistence Pays Off For Joyce – article by Jason Galea
- Holt Picks Up Oricom UHF CB Prize – article by Jason Galea
- Pike Wins Intense LED Australia Prize – article by Jason Galea
- Cooper Flies To Badgy Glory – article by Jason Galea
- Photos by Martin Gepperth
- Photos by Chris de Blank Photography
- Photos by Keira Piercy
Photos: John the Ambo and Martin Gepperth